From Vienna to the world
International expansion with Viennese origins
The ZKW Group is a traditional company with an 80-year history. Karl Zizala founded ZKW in Vienna back in 1938. The brand’s name derives from his initials, plus a “W” to stand in for the Austrian capital (“Wien” = Vienna). The company was expanded in 1954 to include its current headquarters in Wieselburg.
The Mommert family, its current owners, took over the company in 1982. Although the company started out producing metal components for various motorcycle and truck manufacturers, it developed its specialization in innovative, premium lighting systems and electronics in the decades that followed. It produced its first standard car headlight in 1989, followed by its first truck headlight in 1995, and its first bend-lite headlight (AFS) went into production in 2005. In 2014, the first laser projector was installed and the LED matrix headlight followed.
As an industry leader, the ZKW Group employs a total of nearly 8,000 people at its locations in Austria, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, China, India, Mexico and the USA.